IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Follow these steps to undo a previous System Restore operation.
- This procedure must be performed while logged in as Administrator or to an account with Administrator rights.
- The System Restore procedure will restore the Registry and other settings back to the date and time selected. No data will be lost. Saved documents and e-mail will not be affected by performing a System Restore.
- Any hardware or software that has been installed after the date of the restore point will need to be reinstalled.
- 200MB of free hard drive space is required to perform a system restore.
- If the operating system will not start in Normal Mode, restart the computer in Safe Mode .
- If the operating system will not start in Normal Mode or Safe Mode, restart the computer in Safe Mode using the Command Prompt. At the Command Prompt, type C:\Windows\System32\Rstrui.exe and then on the keyboard, press the ENTER key to start the System Restore feature.
- If the mouse is not available, use the TAB key, or ARROW keys to highlight options, and the Enter key make the selection.
- Click the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.
- If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, click Continue or click Yes.
- If System Restore is not listed in the System Tools menu, click the Start button and in the Search programs and files field, type System Restore.
- In the System Restore window, click to select Undo System Restore.
NOTE: If you wish to undo a System Restore operation other than the most recent one, follow this procedure:
- In the System Restore window, click to select Choose a different restore point.
- In the Restore your computer to the state it was in before the selected event window, click to select the Restore Operation you wish to undo.
- In the Confirm your restore point window, click the Finish button.
NOTE: The operating system will undo the selected restore operation and the computer will restart.