Sony® camcorders have a built-in rechargeable battery for retaining time, date, and other settings. Since the built-in rechargeable battery is not removable, current camcorder models can only be returned to the original factory settings by pressing a small RESET button on the camcorder or using an Initialize or RESET option in the menu.
Older-model camcorders (prior to the year 2000) do not have a built-in rechargeable battery or RESET button, and require a manual power reset.
IMPORTANT: To determine whether or not your camcorder has a RESET button, or if model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
Follow the appropriate procedure below for your camcorder.
- Be sure not to turn off the camcorder while resetting is in progress.
- Even if you use this function, all movies and photos are retained.
- If an error code beginning with C: or E: is displayed on the camcorder’s LCD screen, resetting may not resolve the issue.
Using Initialize or RESET option in the menu
- Go to the MENU.
- Go to Setup.
- Go to General Settings.
- Select Initialize.
- Select OK.
- After the camcorder reboots, the time and date settings menu will be displayed. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the initial settings.
- Since camcorders have different menu system layouts, refer to the instruction manual specific for your camcorder model.
Using a RESET button
- Locate the RESET button on the camcorder.
- Use a pointed object (like a ballpoint pen) to press and hold the RESET button for 2-3 seconds.
- After 2-3 seconds has elapsed, release the RESET button.
NOTE: After the camcorder reboots, the time and date settings menu will be displayed. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the initial settings.
Performing a manual power reset
- Turn off the camcorder.
- Disconnect AC power adapter.
- Remove the battery pack.
- Remove the lithium button-cell battery (if applicable).
- Move the POWER switch to the CAMERA position for 15 seconds.
- Move the POWER switch to the OFF position.
- Reinsert the lithium button-cell battery (if applicable).
- Reconnect the AC power adapter or reinsert the battery pack.
- Turn on the camcorder.
If your camcorder is experiencing an issue and the issue is not resolved by performing the appropriate reset procedure above, then service may be required. Go to Product Repair.