IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Can the PS-HX500 playback 78 rpm records?
No, the PS-HX500 only supports 33 rpm and 45 rpm records.
Can audio tracks be played back by connecting the unit and a computer via USB?
No, the USB port on the unit is only for recording audio tracks onto a computer via the Hi-Res Audio Recorder app.
How do you record a Hi-Res audio source with this unit and play it as Hi-Res audio on a Walkman® player?
Transfer the audio source to the Walkman® player with the following steps:
- Use the dedicated Hi-Res Audio Recorder application to record the audio source in DSD format and write the file (track) onto the computer.
Note: Hi-Res Audio Recorder app is an application dedicated to recording. It has no function to edit files. For details about the operation, refer to the Hi-Res Audio Recorder app Help Guide.
- Transfer the file to the Walkman player using the Music Center for PC software.
For details, refer to the Music Center for PC website.
Hi-Res Audio Recorder app
What file formats (audio output data file) are compatible with recording?
The following are the compatible file formats:
|Compatible recording file formats||Sampling frequencies/Bit rate|
|PCM（.wav）2ch||44.1 kHz/ 48 kHz/ 96 kHz/ 192 kHz 16 bit / 24 bit|
|DSD（.dsf）2ch||2.8 MHz / 5.6 MHz|
Can the file names be changed?
File names can be changed when files are exported onto a computer via the Hi-Res Audio Recorder app. To change the file name, follow the procedure below:
- Input a file name in track titles of the Write to Files window.
- Click Options then Use Track Titles as File Names.
When recording audio tracks onto a computer via the Hi-Res Audio Recorder app, can audio tracks be recorded in various file formats simultaneously?
No, audio tracks can't be recorded in various file formats simultaneously.
Can audio tracks recorded onto a computer via the Hi-Res Audio Recorder app be edited?
The Hi-Res Audio Recorder app is a recording application and recorded audio tracks cannot be edited with this application. To edit recorded audio tracks, use another application. We recommend using the Music Center for PC software for editing.
When downloading data to a PC using the Hi-Res Audio Recorder app, are track information and album information written as metadata?
The track title and the artist information edited by Hi-Res Audio Recorder app are written as metadata. The information is stored in different places depending on its format.
Is sound output from a PC while recording in Hi-Res Audio quality?
No, it is not. To ensure the recording, a PC converts files to playable audio file formats and outputs sound separate from storing data.
Is it possible to record files using applications other than Hi-Res Audio Recorder app?
Hi-Res Audio Recorder is the only supported application for recording.
The Hi-Res Audio Recorder app can't be installed onto a Windows® computer. An error message about a digital signature appears when the unit is connected to a computer and the unit isn't recognized correctly by the computer.
The Hi-Res Audio Recorder application may not be installed correctly if your computer doesn't have the latest version of Windows. Run Windows Update to update your computer to the latest version, then install the application.
I can't adjust the recording level on the Hi-Res Audio Recorder.
The latest version of the Hi-Res Audio Recorder app allows you to adjust the recording level. If you are using the old version of the software, a message to download the latest version will appear when you start Hi-Res Audio Recorder. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- For further details on how to adjust the recording level, check the instructions guide that came with the unit.
- Additional information on how to adjust the Signal Level for the Recorded Audio Tracks (Gain Adjustment) is available.
Repair and replacement parts
How can I replace the original stylus with a new one?
Use a stylus that is exclusively designed for this unit. Other styluses are not supported. To obtain a spare stylus, contact your dealer or the customer support website.Go to Parts and Accessories.
Can I replace the cartridge with the one that is not the same type as the originally installed?
When attaching or removing the stylus protective cover, slide it horizontally (illustrated below).
If you pull the stylus protective cover vertically, the protective cover and the stylus will be removed together. If you have done this unintentionally, follow the steps below to reattach the protective cover and stylus.
- Attach the stylus protective cover to the spare stylus.
- Hold the cartridge body with one hand and then insert the tab on the spare stylus into the receptacle on the cartridge body.
- Maintenance → Replacing the Stylus → To attach the stylus.
What are the precautions when sending the unit for repair, etc.?
Sending the unit in an assembled state may cause breakages or malfunctions. Disassemble the parts and pack them securely when you send the unit.
- Put the stylus protective cover on the stylus.
- Note: If you don't have the stylus protective cover, pack the stylus carefully so that it doesn't bump up against other objects while transporting.
- Remove the rubber mat and the platter (turntable). Put the drive belt on the rear side of the platter.
- Note: For details refer to Assembling the Turntable in the supplied manual. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Remove the counterweight, then place the tone arm on the tone arm rest and lock it with the tone arm lock. To prevent coming off the tone arm from the tone arm lock, we recommend securing the tone arm and tone arm lock with a soft string.
- Pack the items carefully so that they do not bump up against each other while transporting.
- Note: We recommend that you keep the packing materials that came with the turntable and using that packaging whenever transporting.