How to transfer pictures from the camera to a computer using a standard USB connection.
Follow these steps to transfer pictures from the camera to a computer using a standard USB connection.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
IMPORTANT: This procedure must be performed while logged in as Administrator or to an account with Administrator rights.
NOTE: If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Turn on the computer.
- Turn on the camera.
- Insert the recording media containing the pictures into the camera.
IMPORTANT: Skip this step if you want to transfer pictures recorded on the internal memory of a camera. The internal memory of a camera cannot be accessed when a memory card is inserted.
- Set the USB Connection or Transfer mode setting in the camera menu to Mass Storage or Normal.
- Connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable that was supplied with the camera.
IMPORTANT: Connection through a USB hub or other USB device --such as a printer or keyboard-- is not supported and cannot be guaranteed. Connect the camera directly to a USB port on the computer.
- On the desktop screen of the computer, on the task bar, click the Start button and then click the My Computer icon.
- In the My Computer window, click the icon that represents the camera.
- Most digital still cameras and camcorders will be represented by an icon that says Removable Disk. If the Removable Disk icon for the camera does not show in the My Computer window, troubleshooting is available .
- For CD Mavica® cameras, the icon will look like a CD and start with the letters Mv.
- Click the DCIM folder and drag it to the desktop screen of the computer.
NOTE: The folder and any subfolders containing images will be copied to the computer hard drive. If you only want to copy select images you can open the folder and then click and drag only the desired image files to the computer.
- On the desktop screen of the computer, rename the DCIM folder to a name that will help you identify the picture contents.
After following the steps above, the pictures from the camera should successfully be copied to the computer. If for some reason the pictures did not copy, and your camera supports Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP), try using PTP to copy the pictures .