ILCE-9 System Software (Firmware) Update to version 6.00 (Windows)
Adds real-time Eye AF for animals
This information is for the following models:
About this download
Before downloading the software, we recommend that you create a Sony account. After creating a Sony account or signing in with your Sony account, download the software (For customers in the USA).
Benefits and Improvements from the latest update
IMPORTANT: For customers updating the ILCE-9 from firmware Ver. 4.10 or earlier, please review the benefits and changes before performing the update.
- Adds real-time Eye AF for animals
- This function can be used simultaneously with tracking.
- Eye detection may not be possible, depending on the environment, animal type or the movement of the animal.
- It is not possible to simultaneously detect human and animal eyes.
Please see the Support site for details.
- Addition of the interval shooting function
- Allows the operation with the wireless remote commander RMT-P1BT (sold separately)
- Other improvements:
- [Focus Frame Color] can be selected.
- "My Menu" can be assigned to appear first when you press the MENU button.
- Improves the overall stability of the camera
Please update the Remote Camera Tool to the latest version if you use the Remote Camera Tool after this update.
*Please refer to the HelpGuide for updated function usage.
Previous Benefits and Improvements
- ILCE-9 System Software (Firmware) Update Ver. 6.00 (Windows)
- 300 MB (315,452,624 bytes)
Before You Start
Check the system software version
Follow the instructions below to check the system software version. If the system software version is Ver. 6.00, the update is not required.
- Select Menu > Setup subpage  > Version on the camera.
- The system software version is displayed.
The latest version of the system software update is compatible with most commonly used versions of Microsoft Windows:
- Windows® 10
- Windows® 8.1
- Windows® 7 SP1
The latest version of the system software update is compatible with the following hardware:
- Hard drive space: 500 MB or more
- RAM: 512 MB or more
NOTE: Please close all other application software before updating the system software.
- Power source for the camera: A fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100.
NOTE: The update can only be performed when the battery power level is (three bars) or more. We recommend that you use a fully charged battery. Detach the vertical grip before updating system software.
- USB cable supplied with the camera
NOTE: Update functionality is not guaranteed with any other USB cable.
Download & Install
- Use a fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100.
- Do not remove the battery during the update; as the sudden loss of power may render the camera inoperable.
- Remove the memory card from the camera before starting the update process.
- Prevent your computer from entering Sleep mode.
- Do not connect the camera to other any other devices except your computer.
How to download the Updater:
- Make sure that you are logged on as a user with administrative rights.
- After reading the disclaimer, click Download.
- The file [Update_ILCE9V600.exe] file will start downloading.
- Save the file to the desktop of your computer (recommended).
NOTE: For Windows 8.1/10 users: With the standard settings of Internet Explorer, the update file will be saved in your Downloads folder. Click the Desktop tile from the Start screen and find the downloaded file in the Downloads folder by using Explorer.
NOTA: Before downloading the software, we recommend that you create a Sony account. After creating a Sony account or signing in with your Sony account, download the software (For customers in the USA).
Step 1: Start the Updater
- Close all programs currently running on your computer.
- Double-click the [Update_ILCE9V600.exe] file that you downloaded. Do not connect the camera to the computer yet.
- The System Software Updater starts.
- Turn on the camera.
- Following the instructions in the System Software Updater window, on the camera, select "Menu" > "Setup subpage " > "USB Connection" and make sure "Mass Storage" is selected.
- Connect the camera to the computer with the supplied USB cable. "USB Mode" appears on the LCD screen of thecamera.
NOTE: If the computer cannot find the device, the message "Could not find the camera for this update" is displayed on the computer screen. Please try the following:
- Disconnect the USB cable and connect it again.
- If the computer has multiple USB terminals, try with the other terminals.
- Check the LCD screen of the camera, then click Next. The current version number and updated version number appear on the lower left side of the screen. After confirming that the current software version is "Ver.5.01 or earlier", click Next. If the current system software version is 6.00 or later, the update is not required. In this case, disconnect the camera from the computer and click Finish. Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack, reinsert the battery and turn the camera back on.
- Update is required:
- Update is not required:
- Update is required:
- Click Next. The following screen appears.
- After automatically resetting, the progress bar appears during the update process (approximately 5 minutes).
NOTE: Never turn off the camera or disconnect the USB cable while updating.
- When the update is complete, the device will automatically restart. Make sure the device is turned on and wait until the LCD screen starts up. Click Finish when the LCD screen appears and disconnect the USB cable.
- After restarting, a data recovery warning is sometimes displayed. This is normal. Please wait until this warning disappears.
Step 2: Confirm the system software version of your device is Ver.6.00.
- On the camera, select "Menu" > "Setup subpage " > "Version".
- The system software version is displayed as illustrated below.
Questions & Answers
The update does not complete
When the monitor remains black for more than 15 minutes, follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue:
- Disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
- Remove the battery and AC adapter from the camera, leave it for a few minutes, then insert the battery again or connect the AC adapter.
- Restart the computer.
- Turn on the camera and perform the installation process again.