There are no system recovery discs included with the computer. The recovery data required to return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition is included on a special partition of the hard drive. However, on some models this partition may not function properly.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. Using Recovery Discs created on a computer with a damaged Recovery Drive can make your computer unusable. To determine if your computer is affected, please contact the Customer Experience Center at (239) 768-7545 to speak with a customer service representative about this issue.
If a customer service representative has determined that the data on your recovery partition is functional, the following procedure can be used to create a set of recovery discs from the data on the Recovery Drive. The recovery discs that you create can then be used to restore the recovery partition and return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition in case this is ever necessary.
- Rewritable media can be used to create the recovery discs, but are not recommended.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process.
- The number of discs needed to create the set varies by model.
NOTE: The recovery discs are not a backup utility. To save personal data and software installed after purchase or since the last system recovery, use the Backup and Restore Center provided with the Microsoft® Windows Vista® operating system.
- Ensure all open programs are closed.
- Ensure all network connections are disconnected.
- Ensure all peripheral devices are disconnected.
NOTE: If the computer uses an external CD/DVD drive, ensure the drive is plugged in according to the instructions in the VAIO® User Guide.
- From within the VAIO Recovery Center application, under Choose a program, click Create Recovery Discs.
NOTE: To access the VAIO Recovery Center from within Windows Help and Support, click Backup & Recovery, and then click Launch VAIO Recovery Center.
- Next to Create Recovery Discs window, click the Start button.
- In the When recovery discs are needed window, click the Next button.
- In the Choose your media window, click the Next button.
NOTE: Although an option is provided for creating Dual Layer (DL) discs, that option will not produce usable discs on this model. Ensure the Create recovery disc(s) using... DVD(s) option remains selected before clicking Next.
- Insert a blank, recordable DVD into the DVD drive.
- In the Insert a blank disc window, click the OK button.
- Insert a new disc when necessary as instructed.
- When all the disks have been created, click the Finish button.
NOTE: After the recovery discs have been created the first time, any disc can be created again by selecting the disc from the list and clicking Next.