The Recovery Discs can be used to restore the entire (C:) drive, remove or restore the Recovery Drive partition, change the size and number of the hard disk partitions, perform diagnostics on the computer hardware, and rescue important data that may still be saved from the hard drive if a system recovery needs to be performed. Follow this procedure to perform a system recovery using Recovery Discs.
- This model is not supplied with Recovery Discs. Recovery Discs must be created on the computer .
Sony Electronics is no longer permitted to sell system recovery media for VAIO PCs that shipped with operating systems released prior to Windows 7. If you have not created a set of Recovery Media, or if the Recovery Media has been lost or misplaced, find a location to take your Sony computer so that they can provide repair and recovery options.
- Before performing a recovery, look for software and driver updates or check for knowledge base solutions that may help you solve your issue.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process. Notebook computers must be connected to the AC adapter.
- If the computer uses an external CD/DVD drive, plug in the drive according to the instructions in the VAIO® User Guide.
- If an external drive is necessary, Sony recommends the optional USB or i.LINK® CD/DVD drives specifically designed as an accessory for your model and available for purchase from the Sony® Store. Check out our latest electronics products and accessories.
- Turn on the computer.
- Insert Recovery Disc #1 into the DVD drive.
- Turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer.
- In the Windows Boot Manager window, use the arrow keys to select Start VAIO Recovery Center.
- Press the Enter key.
- In the VAIO Recovery Center window, under Choose a program, click to select the desired option:
- Computer problems related to hardware can be diagnosed using the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics option.
- The entire (C:) drive can be restored to its original, factory-installed condition by selecting Restore C: Drive.
- Choosing Restore Complete System will restore the entire (C:) drive, while removing or restoring the Recovery Drive partition. Modifying the size of the hard drive partitions is also an option with this type of recovery.
- The Rescue Data option can be used to back up data if the operating system will not start.
- To remove all data from the hard drive, including the operating system, all programs and personal data, choose the Wipe and Erase Data option. This option is provided for the convenience of advanced users who want to install a different operating system, and who want to ensure all data has been removed from the hard drive first. All other users are strongly urged to avoid selecting this option.