Follow this procedure to complete the Default System Drive Recovery (Recommended).
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. All software applications, configurations, and data added to drive (C:) will be erased. Data and information on drive (D:) will not be affected.
- In the Main Menu window, click to select Default System Drive Recovery (Recommended).
- Click Next.
- In the Confirm Execution window, click Next.
- In the I want to permanently delete all data on drive C... dialog box, click Yes.
- The System Recovery Utility will begin restoring the hard drive.
- In the Insert the CD Vol.2 and press the [OK] button dialog box, remove System Recovery CD #1.
- Insert System Recovery CD #2 into the CD/DVD drive.
- Click OK.
- In the Insert the CD Vol.3 and press the [OK] button dialog box, remove System Recovery CD #2.
- Insert System Recovery CD #3 into the CD/DVD drive.
- Click OK.
- In the the system recovery is complete... dialog box, click OK.
- In the Recovery window, click Next.
- Remove the System Recovery CD from the CD/DVD drive.
- In the VAIO System Recovery Utility window, click Finish.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup wizard.
IMPORTANT: If the Windows XP Setup Wizard stops responding, restart the computer to continue the setup wizard.
- At the Windows XP Welcome screen, click the desired user name or icon to log in.
NOTE: The option to select the desired user name will not appear if there is only one user configured.
- The operating system may detect and install some of the hardware installed on the system. If prompted for drivers, insert Application Recovery CD #1 into the CD/DVD drive and point to the Drivers folder. In the Restart the Computer message box, click Yes. This process may repeat a second time.
- If the VAIO Help and Support window is displayed regarding important updates or supplemental information, click Remind Me Later.
NOTE: The supplemental information will include answers to common questions regarding the VAIO® computer. If Remind Me Later is not clicked, the information will not be made available when the recovery process is complete.
- If the PC-cillin Online Registration window is displayed, click Cancel.
NOTE: The PC-cillin Online Registration window will be displayed again when the computer is restarted. If Do not show this dialog next time has a check mark next to it, the registration opportunity will not be presented again.
- If the Sony VAIO Registration window is displayed, click Cancel.
NOTE: It is strongly recommended to complete the Sony VAIO Registration at another time.
- In the Sony Application Recovery Program window, insert Application Recovery CD #1 into the CD/DVD drive.
- Click OK. The recovery program will start and install several modules and applications.
- If prompted to insert the CD for the bundled word processing application, click Cancel.
IMPORTANT: If the word processing installation is not canceled, there will not be a prompt to enter a unique Product ID for the application. Without the unique Product ID, activation or registration of the application may not be allowed.
- In the Sony Application Recovery Program window, remove the Application Recovery CD.
- Click OK.
- Download and install all driver and software updates online.