This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and Improvements
- Improves general performance of the TV
- Improves general performance of the YouTube™/IPTV apps
Previous Benefits and ImprovementsView previous benefits and improvements
- This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries/regions.
What You Need
- A computer with access to the Internet
- A USB storage device
- Firmware update to 6.931 for TV
Zip File Name
- 270 619 564 bytes
Check the software version
Your software may already be up to date. If you're not sure, it's easy to check which version of software you have by following these instructions:
- Turn on your TV and press the HOME button on the remote to display the HOME menu.
- Navigate to Settings, and press Enter.
- Navigate to Customer Support and press Enter.
- The model and software version should be displayed on the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- If the version number is 6.931 or higher, you already have the most recent firmware.
There are 2 ways to update the firmware on your BRAVIA TV:
- Using the Automatic Software Download method (easy)
Note: Your TV may indicate the Software is up to date even if the newer version is not installed. The updates for Automatic Software Download are staggered releases and may not be immediately available. Please try again later. If you prefer to update now, follow the instructions to download and install the software update using the USB storage device method.
- Using the USB storage device method
Using the Automatic Software Download method (easy):
Sony provides software updates in order to enhance functionalities and provide users with the latest TV experience. The easiest way to receive software updates is to use the Automatic Software Download. This setting is enabled by default. If you have enabled Automatic Software Download below, you will automatically receive a notification to update your TV.
- Press the HOME button on the remote.
- Select Settings, and press Enter.
- Select Customer Support and press Enter.
- Select Automatic Software Download.
- Select On to download the software automatically. Select Off to disable it.
The new firmware update will be rolled out gradually to all Internet-connected TVs over the weeks following its release.
Note: The following System Requirements, File Info, and the Download & Install sections relate to the USB storage device update procedure. You can ignore them if you completed the update using the Automatic Software Download feature.
For other FAQs about Troubleshooting, please see the Questions and Answers on the Sony Support Site.
Using the USB storage device method:
You can also update the software by using a USB storage device. If an Internet connection is not set up on your TV, or you don't want to wait for the update via Automatic Software Download function, try to download and update using a USB storage device as instructed below.
Download & Install
- Read the instructions carefully or you could end up causing the TV to become unresponsive or require a repair.
- Do not turn off the TV or disconnect it from power while it's updating.
- Do not press any buttons, except the ones mentioned in the instructions.
- Stop any recording before you start the firmware update (USB HDD recording models only).
How to download the Updater
Before you install the update, you'll need to download it from the Internet and save it to a USB storage device.
- Download the update file to your computer.
- Click the Download button on the top of this page, then read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Click the Download button on the bottom of the page to download the update file on your computer.
- Verify the downloaded file name and size (see the File Info section).
- Extract the downloaded file.
Note: After you extracted the downloaded file, you will find the folder (sony_dtvxxxxxx_xxxxxxx).
- Insert the USB storage device into your computer.
- Copy or drag and drop the folder (sony_dtvxxxxxx_xxxxxxx) to the root directory of your USB device.
Note: The root directory is the first or top-most directory of the device, which contains all the other folders.
- Remove the USB storage device from your computer and continue to the next section.
Step 1: Install the update
Once you have downloaded the update file and prepared your USB device, you can install it on your TV.
Note: The process can take up to 30 minutes and during the installation, your TV will turn off before turning itself back on. Please follow the simple steps below:
- Turn on the TV.
- Make sure that no USB devices are inserted into your TV.
- Insert your USB storage device containing the folder (sony_dtvxxxxxx_xxxxxxx) into a USB port of the TV set.
Note: Any USB port can be used if the TV has multiple USB ports.
- Press HOME on the remote to open the HOME menu.
- Navigate to the Settings category and press Enter to select it.
- Navigate to and select Customer Support.
- Navigate to and select Software Update.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- The update will start and an orange Led light will start blinking on the front panel of the TV.
WARNING! During the software installation process:
- Do not remove the USB device
- Do not turn off the TV
- Do not disconnect the TV from the power supply
- When the Firmware update complete message is displayed on the TV set, the TV will turn off and then turn back on to complete the update.
WARNING! Do not remove the USB device or turn off the TV set.
- After the TV turn back on, remove your USB storage device from the USB port.
Step 2: Check that the update was successful
Check the current software version to confirm that the update has successfully been installed.
- If the version number is 6.931, the software update was successful.
- If the version number isn't 6.931, download and install the update again.
Questions & Answers
- Will my personal settings be deleted after the update?
No, all your personal settings will be kept.
- Can I install an older version of the software?
No. To ensure that your TV remains at optimum performance, the installation of an older software version is not possible: the latest software version contains all the benefits and improvements of previous versions.
- Is it normal for the TV to turn off during the update process?
Yes, it's normal for the TV to restart during the update process. It will take a longer time for the TV to restart while installing the new software.
What to do if you have problems updating your TV firmware
If either message An error occurred during the software update or Software cannot be updated using this USB device is displayed on the TV screen, please proceed to the following procedures for a possible solution:
- Make sure your USB storage device is in good working order. If it is, try downloading the update file again.
- Turn off the TV by pressing the POWER button on the TV set.
- Press the POWER button again, and proceed with the installation process again.
If the message No newer version of the TV software was found is displayed on the TV front panel display, your TV already has newest software version installed, so you do not need to update it.
For other FAQs about Troubleshooting, please see the Questions and Answers section on the Sony Support Site.