This information is for the following models:
Read this section before downloading the file.
To install this update, you need to download the Sony Camera Driver first. For details, read the How to download the Sony Camera Driver section in this article.
About this download
- This lens must be attached to an E-mount body camera to perform this update.
- Some models cannot be used for this update. (model list).
- When using the PXW-FS7M2, follow the steps as specified in the PXW-FS7M2 instruction manual.
Benefits and Improvements
- Improves an issue where, on rare occasions, the aperture value may become unstable when the IRIS ring is operated
- 1.8 MB (1 816 061 bytes)
This lens system software update can be performed only when the lens is attached to the camera. Be sure to attach the target lens to the camera body before starting the update. Also, be sure to turn off the power of the camera when attaching the lens.
Check the system software version of your lens
Follow the instructions below to check the lens system software version. If the system software version is Ver.01, the update is required.
- On the camera, select Menu → Setup → Version.
- The lens system software version is displayed as illustrated below. Note: If you are using the QX series, start the lens system software updater on your computer and check the lens system software version by running the update.
The latest version of the lens system software update is compatible with the following Macintosh operating system versions:
- macOS 10.14, 10.15, 11, 12
The latest version of the lens system software update is compatible with the following hardware:
- Hard drive space: 200 MB or more
- RAM: 512 MB or more
Other items for α Interchangeable-lens Camera
- Power source for the camera: Fully charged rechargeable battery pack or dedicated AC adaptor (sold separately) Note: The update can only be performed when the battery power level is (three bars) or more. We recommend that you use a fully charged battery or the dedicated AC adaptor (sold separately). Detach the vertical grip before updating lens system software.
- USB cable supplied with the camera Note: Update functionality is not guaranteed with any other USB cable.
Other items for Professional/Camera - Broadcast & Production
- Power source for the camera: The dedicated AC adaptor
- USB cable supplied with the camera. Note: Update functionality is not guaranteed with any other USB cable.
Download & Install
- Please close all other application software before updating the lens system software.
- Do not remove the battery during the update as the sudden loss of power may render the camera inoperable.
- Prevent your computer from going into sleeping mode.
- When connect the camera to a computer, make sure that you only connect a computer.
- Remove the memory card from the camera before starting the update process.
- Do not connect the camera and computer yet.
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
For α Interchangeable-lens Cameras
- When performing the lens system software update, please use a fully charged rechargeable battery pack or the dedicated AC adaptor (sold separately).
- Attach the lens to the camera before performing the lens system software update. Make sure the camera is turned off.
For Professional/Camera – Broadcast & Production
- Use the dedicated AC adaptor when updating.
- Please ensure that the battery and AC adaptor are removed before the lens with the update is attached
- Confirm the USB connection settings Note: Following the instructions in the Lens System Software Updater window, on the camera, select Menu → Setup → USB → USB Connection and check if Mass Storage has been selected. If a mode other than Mass Storage is selected, please select Mass Storage.
- On Mac computers with an Apple silicon (Apple M1) processor, please change the security policy. The About This Mac screen shows an item labeled Chip, followed by the name of the chip. Refer to the How to change the security policy on Mac computers with Apple silicon article. For Mac computers with an Intel processor, this step is not necessary.
How to download the Sony Camera Driver:
- Visit the Sony Camera Driver download page and download the appropriate driver: Note: The Sony Camera Drivers are different for Mac computers with an Intel processor and those with an Apple silicon processor.
- Click the Download button.
- After reading the disclaimer, click Download.
- Save the file to the desktop of your computer (recommended).
How to download the Lens System Software Updater:
- Click the Download button above.
- After reading the disclaimer, click Download. Note: The Update_SEL50F12GMV2D.dmg file will start downloading.
- Save the file to the desktop of your computer (recommended).
Once the file has downloaded successfully, you're ready to install the update.
Step 1: How to Install the Sony Camera Driver
- Close all programs currently running on your computer.
- Double-click the Camera_Driver_2102a.dmg file you downloaded. Do not connect the camera at this point. Note: If you have connected the camera to a computer, disconnect it before following the procedure.
- The Sony Camera Driver Installer is expanded.
- Double-click the SonyCameraDriver.pkg icon.
- The installer screen opens. Proceed as instructed.
- You are asked to allow the system to start installation. Type the password for the administrative account.
- If the operating system displays the System Extension Blocked dialog message (the actual message will vary depending on the operating system version), click the Open Security Preferences button. The macOS Security & Privacy screen opens.
- If the operating system does not display the System Extension Blocked dialog message, go to Step 2: Start the Updater onward.
- In the Security & Privacy screen, open the General tab and then click the key icon. When prompted to enter the password, type the password you used when logging in with the Administrator account and then click the Unlock button.
- Click the Allow button to allow the system to start loading the system software.
- After clicking the Allow button, if you are asked to restart, restart the computer and return to the beginning of the update procedure.
- If the Security and Privacy screens does not disappear, please close the window.
Step 2: Start the Lens System Software Updater
- Double-click the Update_SEL50F12GMV2D.dmg file you downloaded. Do not connect the camera at this point.
- Update_SEL50F12GMV2D is expanded.
- Double-click the LensSystemSoftwareUpdater icon.
- The message prompts you to allow the application to make changes. Type the password for the administrative account.
- The Lens System Software Updater will start.
- If the system is not ready to start updating, an error message appears. Take appropriate action according to the message and then double-click LensSystemSoftwareUpdater again.
- If the message You need to restart your computer. appears, restart the computer and then double-click LensSystemSoftwareUpdater again.
- If the message You need to install Sony Camera Driver appears, perform the procedure described in Step 1: How to Install the Sony Camera Driver, then double-click LensSystemSoftwareUpdater again.
- If the message Check the Security & Privacy setting. appears, perform steps 7 and 8 in the Step 1: How to Install the Sony Camera Driver section, then restart the computer and double-click LensSystemSoftwareUpdater again.
- Turn on the camera and connect the camera to the computer with the supplied USB cable, USB Mode appears on the LCD screen of the camera.
- Click Next on the lens system software updater. The lens system software updater window appears on the computer and Follow computer instructions. appears on the camera screen. Note: From now on, never turn off the camera until the Lens system software update is completed. It might take a few minutes to screen changes depending on the camera model.
- If the message The update is not available for your model appears, check if the lens system software file you're trying to install is the correct file for the lens which is attached to your camera. In case the correct lens system software updater is running, close the updater, disconnect the USB cable, turn off the camera, and go back to Step 2: Start the Lens System Software Updater.
- If the message Could not find camera with the lens for this update mounted. appears, check if your camera is listed in the Relevant Products section and if the camera is connected to the computer with USB cable.
- Click Next on the lens system software updater. The current version and the version after the update appear on the lower left part of the screen. If the current lens system software version is Ver.02, the update is not required. In this case stop the USB connection and click Finish, turn off the camera, remove the battery pack and/or the AC adaptor, reinsert the battery or reconnect the AC adaptor and turn on the camera.
- Update is required
- Update is not required
- Update is required
- Confirm Current version is Ver.01, click Next. The data is being transferred to the camera (approximately 5 seconds). Note: Do not turn off the camera or disconnect the USB cable while updating.
- When the data transfer is finished, the following screen appears:
- The update process starts and the progress bars is displayed on the camera (approximately 30 seconds).
- The update process is finished when the Lens update complete. message is displayed on the camera. If you are using the QX series, the update process is finished when the screen of the QX series disappears.
- Disconnect the USB cable. Note: After finished the update, turn off the camera, remove the battery pack and/or the AC adaptor, reinsert the battery or reconnect the AC adaptor and turn on the camera.
Step 3: Confirm the lens system software version is Ver.02
- On the camera, select Menu→ Setup →Version.
- The lens system software version is displayed as illustrated:
Note: For Mac computers using an Apple silicone processor, once the update procedure is finished, we recommend setting the security policy back to the original setting. On Mac computers with an Intel processor, this step is not needed. Refer to the How to change the security policy on Mac computers with Apple silicon article if necessary.
Questions & Answers
The update does not complete
If the monitor remains black for more than 10 minutes, follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue:
- Disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
- Remove the battery and AC adaptor from the camera, leave it for a few minutes, then insert the battery again or connect the AC adaptor.
- Restart the computer.
- Turn on the camera and perform the installation process again.
After launching the system software updater, the screen for confirming the version does not appear and a Failed to update message is displayed.
If this happens, it is possible that you have updated your camera in the past using the System Software Update Helper driver and have not uninstalled that software:
- Download System Software Update Helper again and uninstall the driver using the uninstaller tool in the Uninstaller folder of the downloaded file.
- After uninstalling the System Software Update Helper driver, double-click the Update_SEL50F12GMV2D.dmg to restart the update.
SEL50F12GM Firmware Update Ver. 02 (Mac)
Improves an issue where, on rare occasions, the aperture value may become unstable when the IRIS ring is operated