IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Before you start
- Check if you can control your set-top box or A/V receiver with the IR Blaster function after completing each step.
- The XBR A9F and Z9F series TVs can't control A/V receivers through the IR Blaster function.
- If you didn't perform the A/V receiver control setup on 2016 Android TV™ models, refer to the Unable to perform the A/V receiver control setup article.
- You can't power the set-top box on or off using the TV remote control. When you use the IR Blaster feature, follow these steps:
- Select the set-top box (STB) with the INPUT button.
- Press the ACTION MENU button.
- Select Menu.
- Select Power (STB).
Check your devices
- Make sure that the connected device supports the IR Blaster function.
- Contact the device manufacturer for compatibility information.
- The IR Blaster function works only with Infrared (IR) set-top boxes.
- Make sure not to set your set-top box to radio frequency (RF) mode.
- Make sure that your TV and set-top box power is on.
- Temporarily disconnect the IR Blaster cable. Then, reconnect it to the TV's USB port or IR Blaster jack (socket).
- Position the IR Blaster emitter in front of the set-top box or A/V receiver's IR sensor.
- Check the device manual or contact the manufacturer for details on the IR sensor location.
- Setup the IR Blaster to control the Android TV and set-top box on the initial setup process.
- It may take several tries before you can control your devices.
- Try all the possible key tests on the remote control.
- After all the keys on the remote control have been checked, a message appears on the TV screen if the set-top box or A/V receiver isn't supported.
- The IR Blaster function doesn't support long press or holding down buttons such as the Vol+/- or CH+/- buttons. Press these buttons repeatedly.
- The REC (STB) key on the screen won't work for set-top boxes that don't have a recording function.
Manually enter the STB information
If selecting the name of the cable provider and the model number of the cable box doesn't work, you can manually enter them using the TV remote control.
- On the remote control, press the HOME button.
- Select Settings.
- Select External Inputs in the TV category.
- Select IR Blaster setup.
- Select Supported Models.
- Make sure the IR blaster is connected to the IR blaster port of the TV.
- Enter the name of the cable or satellite provider.
- Enter the model number of the set-top box.
- Enter your zip code.
- Select the input the set-top box is connected to.
- After the setup is complete, make sure the TV is set to the right input being used. If it isn't set to the right input, press the INPUT button.