No audio is output from an sound device connected to the HDMI port.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
No sound may be heard from an audio device, such as a TV, when it is connected through the HDMI® port. Follow the procedure below to resolve the issue.
- Click the Start button and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click Hardware and Sound.
- In the Hardware and Sound window, click Sound.
- In the Sound Properties window, on the Playback tab, click to select HDMI and then click the Properties button.
- In the HDMI Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.
- On the Advanced tab, in the Default Format section, click the down-arrow next to the textbox and then click to select a sample rate and bit depth supported by the external HMDI audio device.
- If you are unsure what sample rates and bit depths are supported by the HDMI audio device, try lowering the settings and then test the audio output.
- To find the HDMI audio specifications of the external HDMI audio device, check the documentation supplied with the device or the manufacturer's Web site. If it is a Sony® device, the specifications are available online. Manuals are posted on your model support page.