If the on-screen keyboard doesn't appear on the TV screen perform the following steps in order. checking after each to verify if the keyboard appears.
Remove all USB devices from the TV
Remove the all wired or wireless devices connected to the TV USB ports. The on-screen keyboard may not appear when a wired or wireless USB mouse is connected as the TV may recognize the USB mouse as a keyboard
Example of a wireless mouse receiver:
- Power reset the TV.
Uninstall Gboard updates from the TV settings
The Google™ Gboard is the current default keyboard for Android™ TV devices. If the keyboard does not appear after removing USB mouse devices, then do the following and check to verify that the keyboard appears after each step:
- Uninstall recent updates from the TV settings. Depending on your TV type:
- Select Settings → Apps → under System apps select Gboard → Uninstall updates → OK.
- Select Settings → Apps → See all apps → Gboard → Uninstall updates → OK.
- Uninstall any recent keyboard update installed from the Google Play™ store
- Open the Google Play store.
- Select My apps.
- Under Recently Updated, select Gboard → Google Keyboard.
- Select UNISTALL UPDATES.